How it Works
Tesla Powerwall is cutting-edge energy technology, but the concept is quite simple: it’s an efficient backup battery system designed to store excess energy and to know when you need it most. Tesla Powerwall can be used with or without solar panels.
With solar panels
Tesla Powerwall was designed to work in conjunction with a solar array to help achieve complete energy independence. It works like this:
- Solar panels produce a surplus of energy throughout the day which is stored in Tesla Powerwall during daylight hours.
- Tesla Powerwall discharges this energy when it’s needed most: at night, or during detected grid outages if your home is still connected to the electric grid.
- The unit is able to detect outages and power needs entirely on its own — you don’t have to do anything!
You can, however, monitor the PowerWall’s seamless operation from the Tesla app on your smartphone.
Without solar panels
Tesla Powerwall can also provide dramatic energy savings and a clean energy alternative for structures without solar panels.
- The unit is programmed to charge when energy rates are low, storing up excess energy from the grid at a lower rate.
- At peak hours, Tesla Powerwall will discharge and use that stored-up energy to power your home, saving you big on electric bills every month by utilizing only low-rate energy.
You’ll also have a reliable backup during grid outages, too. Tesla Powerwall can detect outages within a fraction of a second and begin to discharge instantly, providing you with a seamless transition to backup power with no interruption whatsoever.